With a reputation like KTM, which stands for Kronreif and Trunkenpolz Mattighofen, it is not stunning that the corporate prefers to depend on initials for mannequin naming. It could be simple to say that the letters in grime bikes are mannequin names, whereas road bikes have conventional names. Nonetheless, as you will notice, it isn’t that straightforward. Oh, the Enduro R mannequin isn’t within the Enduro lineup. Additionally, particular editions could violate the naming construction, however go away that for an additional day. We’ll do our greatest to elucidate KTM Alphabet Soup, even when we will not simplify it.
Whereas one would possibly anticipate the KTM motocross bikes to have the MX designation, all of them get the sexier SX title, which brings to thoughts the supercross.
- SX: That is for 2-stroke motocross bikes.
- SX-F: Including F means it is a 4-stroke motocrosser.
- The SX-E:E Appendix tells you it is an electrical motocrosser
Should you can grasp the considerably complicated enduro lettering, you might be effectively in your option to changing into a KTM knowledgeable.
- The EXC-F: E tells you that is an Enduro (road authorized) cross-country (XC) bike. The F confirms to a 4-stroke motor, though 2-stroke EXC fashions don’t.
- XC: That is for 2-stroke cross-country grime bikes. Though below the enduro lineup umbrella, the XC mannequin does not have lights.
- XC TPI: TPI provides gas injection to the combo.
- XC-W: The W tells you that the XC has wide-ratio transmission in addition to lighting.
- XC-F: These are 4-stroke cross-country racers with out lights.
- XCF-W: These are 4-stroke cross-country off-road enduro bikes with wide-ratio transmission and lighting.
There are solely two supermoto bikes within the KTM lineup proper now, and they’re oddly named.
- SMR: That is the non-road-legal racing designation. Think about it supermoto racing.
- SMC R: We’re unsure what SMC even means, as it is a street-legal mannequin somewhat than a contest bike. The R tells you it is prepared for grime, and it is extra off-road succesful than the slick-weary SMR racer.
The KTM title for journey bike is Journey, with one exception—you simply knew there needed to be one.
- Tremendous Journey R: It is a V-twin journey bike, with the R telling you it has an off-road focus.
- Tremendous Journey S: The S tells you that it’s ADV street-oriented. You do not see the S designation wherever else within the KTM world.
- Journey: That is for the non-V-twin street-oriented journey mannequin.
- Journey R: A non-V-twin ADV bike geared toward grime will get this title, with the R as a tipoff.
- Journey R Rally: ADV For the hardest off-roading on the planet, Rally R has been added.
- Enduro R: It is an outlier. Whereas it’s named Enduro, it isn’t dirt-ready just like the bikes within the Enduro lineup. Plus, it is extra dirt-capable than the opposite bikes below the journey designation, so it will get complicated an R? You should be.
KTM’s impeccably upright sportbikes begin with the Duke, and progress from there.
- Tremendous Duke R: This designation tells you it is a massive bore V-twin on the high of the Duke meals chain. Proper now, there isn’t any non-R Tremendous Duke.
- Duke: It is a standard-issue bare non-V-twin sportbike.
- Duke R: The R tells you you are getting enhanced efficiency, not that it is made for grime.
KTM makes use of e-ride to designate its off-road bikes powered by electrical energy. They’re simply beginning out with these names.
- SX-E: That is for electric-powered motocrossers. Proper now, it is solely used for a youth mannequin, however hopefully that can change.
- Freeride E-XC: One other exterior, it makes use of the XC (cross-country) designation, but it surely provides E (electrical energy) earlier than the XC, not after, as within the 4-stroke (XC-F) The title has been given. Freeride tells you it is a trailbike somewhat than a aggressive off-road bike.
There is just one bike on this class, by which the RC title refers back to the RC16 MotoGP bike
- RC: If it is a KTM RC, it has full fairing and clip-on-track-ready.
So there you’ve gotten it. We hope you’ve gotten loved our full service of KTM Alphabet Soup.